Saturday, March 4, 2017

Company Rules

Now that I no longer work there, I thought I'd reflect back on some of the better times. Well if by 'better' you accept that I wasn't killed . . .

When my daughter graduated and moved out, I started on a new path as a press operator, where my husband worked. We were in different departments, and the only help I got from him was in getting the job. Bombarded with new tasks, and not wanting to fail, I tackled each one, finding little tricks, to help me "Beat the press" as I came to call it. I would create a pattern or series of steps to complete each part, and repeat it, until I memorised it, and went faster. Sometimes I made up little rhymes, to help me remember each spot to trim, assemble or look at.   I got so good at it, without even realising it, that unbeknownst to me, I had drawn the attention of the very person I was trying not to be noticed by - the boss.
My life's mantra had always been "Don't be noticed". As every bully's favorite target, I can't ever say that it worked. I really just like to do my job well, not be bothered by anyone, and go home. . . . and  I really thought that was the formula for my personal peace. Turns out many people like to see others fail, and will take measures to promote it, so that they can look good without having to actually be good at anything. My brain does not accept that, and I am quite sure that I upset a few people by succeding dispite their efforts.

Early on I discovered our companies unwritten, but strictly adhered to rules:

Rule #1 If theres a hole, somethings going in it. [If you don't want someone stuffing crap in your space, fill it yourself]

Rule #2 Nothing gets moved [or put away] until we need that space for something else

Rule #3 This place is one giant game of "Where's Waldo" Try finding an extension cord to run a material feed or conveyor belt so you can start up a press, and you'll see what I mean, even if the extension cord was there yesterday. [or an hour ago]

Rule #4 Nothing here is square, even if it looks like it is. If something you are packing into a box doesn't seem to fit, turn it 90 degrees.


Once I became trainer, I came up with some of my own:

Rule #5 Start every day with a new blade and a good attitude.

Rule #6 Don't copy other people. READ the job book!

Rule #7 Once the previous shift has left the building, you OWN whatever condition that work cell is in.  Don't stand in a pile of mess all day, and then clean it for the next shift, or point to it saying you didn't do it. Clean it NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment